The start of a new year typically signals a change in rates across all postal carriers in the United States, as well as the addition or removing of services from their options.
An increase in UPS rates and service charges goes into effect on December 29, 2019. These increases affect a number of UPS services, with general service rates for air, domestic and international services increasing an average of 4.9% and value-added service costs increasing as well. The additional handling surcharge will see a price difference in 2020, as the weight threshold for UPS ground and air services will be decreasing.
2020 will also see a change in the list of ZIP codes to which Delivery Area Surcharges and Extended Area Surcharges apply.
All rate change information and updated zip code listings are cited from UPS.com.
Review UPS’ complete rate change notes.
Here is a brief summary of what's changing for ShippingEasy subscribers who have connected their UPS account with ShippingEasy:
Package Accessorial Changes
There will be an increase in shipping charges and fees for value-added services which could increase your overall shipping cost, notably:
- Rebill fee of $17.00 will be charge for each request to change the billing account for a shipment.
- Prohibited Item fee of $150.00 will apply to packages containing prohibited articles or restricted articles not in compliance with all UPS policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations if found in the UPS system.
- Additional Handling surcharge weight threshold will be lowered to 50 pounds from the previous 70 pounds actual weight for UPS Ground and UPS Air services. Increased charges will be:
- Additional Handling Weight (Domestic) from $23.00 to $24.00
- Length and Width (Domestic) from $14.25 to $15.00
- International from $14.25 to $15.00
- Large Package Surcharge for residential/commercial packages is increasing from $95/$115 to $100/$120.
- Large Package Surcharge for International packages will increase from $95 to $100.
UPS Ground, Air, and International service rates increase 4.9% on average
UPS services that will see an increase in rates:
- UPS Ground rates will increase an average of 4.9%
- UPS Air rates will increase an average of 4.9%
- UPS International rates will increase an average of 4.9%