When shipping internationally, duties and taxes may be assessed by the country of import based on the destination and item type. The duties payor refers to who will be responsible to pay the duties fees assessed by the importing country.
Each carrier has its own duties payor that applies by default. ShippingEasy allows you to set your preference for duties payor on each carrier account through the Default Duties Payor on the ONE BALANCE AND CARRIERS page. Learn about the duties payor settings for each carrier.
When Default Duties Payor Applies
The default duties payor will apply to new orders received after changing your preference.
The following shipping methods are compatible with using a default duties payor:
- Shipping Presets: Shipping Presets are saved configuration of package and service types. They can be assigned to orders via Shipping Rules or manually, from the ORDERS or READY TO SHIP pages. Learn how to save a Shipping Preset.
- Manual Carrier Service Selections: when shipping on the READY TO SHIP page, you can make your carrier selections manually. Choose the specific carrier, service, and package for each shipment or batch. Learn how to manually select carrier services.
- Previous Selection: Your default duties payor preference will apply to orders that get a rate quote applied via previous selection. Learn more about previous selections.
When the Default Duties Payor Does Not Apply
Your default duties preference will not apply in a couple of scenarios:
- Updating preferences: When you update your default duties payor preference, it will not apply to unshipped orders that are shipped from the orders page. We recommend that when you update your default duties preference, you ship all of your unshipped orders.
Setting a Default Duties Payor for a Carrier Account
Your default duties payor preference is set on each carrier account. You can set a default duties payor preference on FedEx, UPS, or DHL Express.
- Navigate to the ONE BALANCE AND CARRIERS link at the top of your account.
- Click "Manage Account" next to the carrier you want to set the duties payor for.
- Scroll down to the "Settings" section and click on the drop-down "Default Duties Payor" to make your selection.
New orders that are received will now use your new default duties payor preference.
NOTE: Changes to the default duties payor will apply to future orders. Default duties payor preferences are compatible with shipping presets and manual carrier selections. In some cases, a default duties payor may be applied to existing orders or used with other shipping methods.