Fedex is an excellent shipping source for your mailing needs and can offer you significant advantages in certain situations over the other major carriers.
One of the most distinct advantages of FedEx is their willingness to ship and handle specific-and sometimes dangerous-goods. This is a really useful benefit, but it can come with an additional charge that may catch you off guard if you aren’t prepared. If you ship a mixture of dangerous and non-dangerous products, you can use ShippingEasy's category feature to help you organize which orders may accrue extra charges.
These prices are up to date at the time of this writing however, it is always important to check the FedEx website for the most up to date information and accurate pricing as they tend to change yearly.
For accessible dangerous goods:
Accessible dangerous goods are goods that have been indicated as being dangerous and are capable of being accessed by FedEx handlers. If FedEx can access the items or goods which may be dangerous, they will fall under this category and these are the surcharges you may encounter dealing with that.
- FedEx Express U.S. package shipments: $80 per package.
- FedEx Express U.S. freight shipments: $86 per shipment or $0.68 per lb, whichever is greater.
- FedEx Express international package and freight shipments: the greater of $127 per shipment or $0.69 per lb.
For non-accessible dangerous goods:
Non-accessible dangerous goods are goods that have been indicated as being dangerous but are otherwise inaccessible. Even if FedEx can’t get to the dangerous goods (such as internal non-removable lithium batteries), there are the surcharges you may encounter.
- FedEx Express U.S. package shipments: $40 per package.
- FedEx Express U.S. freight shipments: $40.50 per shipment or $0.27 per lb, whichever is greater.
- FedEx Express international package and freight shipments: $62.50 per shipment or $0.34 per lb, whichever is greater.
Armed with this knowledge you can send your otherwise dangerous goods in a timely and well thought out manner. Always remember to use the proper forms and paperwork when sending dangerous goods so as not to delay shipping times and possibly accrue further charger for additional processing!