If you anticipate that your customers will need to return an item to you, Endicia's Pay-on-Use Returns labels may provide the solution you need. ShippingEasy supports this service, but you will need to set it up on your Endicia account first. Learn more.
ShippingEasy enables you to purchase and generate scan-based return labels which can be included in the initial shipment sent to your customer. You will only get charged for scan-based return labels if and when they are scanned in the mail stream. If your customers never use the return labels then you will never get charged for the return label postage.
There are two ways in which a scan-based return label can be added to an outbound shipment:
- Manually on the READY TO SHIP page
- Automatically via a Shipping Rule
NOTE: tracking data for scan-based return labels is not currently sent to any store platform as part of the standard shipment update.
Manually selected on READY TO SHIP
- Once your domestic order is loaded and the carrier is set to USPS on the READY TO SHIP page, ShippingEasy will display "Return Options".
- Check the box next to Add Scan-Based Return Label.
NOTE: if you receive an error, confirm with Endicia that Pay-on-Use Returns has been activated on your Endicia account. Then verify with ShippingEasy that Endicia Pay-on-Use Returns has been enabled for your ShippingEasy account. Learn more.
- Once checked, ShippingEasy will automatically assign the Service/Packaging and Weight of the scan-based return label to those of the outbound shipping label.
- If needed, you can edit the Service/Packaging and Weight.
For example: you want to send your customer's shipment via Priority Mail, but are happy for the return to be shipped back to you via First Class.
NOTE: the Service/Packaging menu is limited to the Saved Carrier Selections you have created and saved in your ShippingEasy account. To add additional options to the menu, learn how to save carrier selections.
- Finally, after the shipment has been processed it will appear in your SHIPMENT HISTORY. Here you'll see a 'Return Tracking Number' link under the Tracking Number for the outbound shipment.
- Click the Return Tracking Number link to display the scan-based return label tracking number.
NOTE: tracking data in ShippingEasy will not update until the label has been scanned by USPS.
Automatically via a Shipping Rule
- To create a Shipping Rule, go to SETTINGS >> SHIPPING RULES.
- Click the blue + Add New button.
- In the field Rule Name, enter a name that describes this rule, such as "return label rule".
- Set the "IF" condition to Destination is equal to Domestic and/or another condition of your choosing.
TIP: only USPS Domestic shipments are eligible for scan-based return labels. Use the Destination condition to filter for Domestic shipments. The Requested service condition may help filter out other carrier shipments.
- Set the "THEN" action to Create scan-based return label for outbound shipment and select a Service/Packaging.
You can either set Use Shipment's selections if you would like the scan-based return label to be the same as the outbound shipment. Or, you can select an existing Saved Carrier Selection if you would like the scan-based return label to differ from the outbound shipment.
- Save your new rule! This rule will be applied to all future shipments that are synced or added into ShippingEasy.