UPS Mail Innovations and UPS SurePost have quite a bit in common. Both are contract only, non-guaranteed economy residential services offered by UPS. Final delivery is also usually handled by the U.S. Postal Service.
Each of these services differ in distinct ways. Most notably, Mail Innovations and SurePost tend to be better suited to different types of packages:
- Mail Innovations: best for smaller, lightweight packages weighing less than one pound.
- SurePost: best for heavier packages, typically within the 2lb - 20lb range.
Keep in mind, this is just a starting point. UPS Mail Innovations and UPS SurePost both have 4 types of packages supported, each with different weight limits, dimensional limits, item type restrictions, and sometimes specific contractual requirements.
Mail Innovations supported package types:
- Flat Mail: 1 ounce – 15.99 ounces. Typically used for booklets, guidebooks, advertising materials and similar packages
- Bound Printed Material: 1 lb. – 15 lbs. Typically used for books, catalogs, directories, etc.
- Less than 1 lb. Parcels: 1 ounce – 15.99 ounces. Similar to Flat Mail, but for items with less common shapes such as CDs, poster tubes, and clothing.
- Media Mail: 1 lb. – 70 lbs. Must not exceed 108” in total dimensions (Length * twice width * twice height) and is restricted to certain types of packages such as binders, films, medical binders.
SurePost supported package types:
- SurePost Less than 1 lb.: 1 ounce – 15.9 ounces. Package dimensions cannot exceed 130” (Length * twice width * twice height).
- SurePost 1lb. or Greater: 1 lb. – 70 lbs. Package dimensions cannot exceed 130”
- SurePost Bound Printed Matter: 0.05kg – 15 lbs. Restricted to books and printed material. Requires a SurePost Bound Printed Matter contract in addition to SurePost contract
- SurePost Media: 0.45 kg. – 70 lbs. Restricted to specific items such as binders, films, medical binders. Requires a SurePost Media contract in addition to a SurePost contract