A UPS Additional Handling charge is an extra charge ($8.50 per applicable item) for shipments that require special handling while being transported by UPS. The charge applies to:
- Any item placed in a shipping container made of metal or wood
- Any cylindrical item, such as a barrel or tire, that is not completely encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container
- Any package with the longest side exceeding 60 inches or its second-longest side exceeding 30 inches
- Any package with an actual weight greater than 70 pounds
- Each package in a shipment where the average weight per package is greater than 70 pounds and the weight for each package is not specified on the source document or the UPS automated shipping system used
Additional Handling will not be assessed to packages qualifying for a Large Package Surcharge.