The Additional Handling charge is an extra fee for shipments that require special handling while being transported by UPS.
The Additional Handling charge depends on the packaging and dimensions. The following general guidelines apply. Though, UPS also reserves the right to assess the Additional Handling Charge for any package that, in UPS's sole discretion, requires special handling.
If a package meets more than one qualification of UPS Additional Handling, only one charge will be assessed. The greatest of the eligible charges will be assessed.
Weight Criteria for UPS Additional Handling
The Additional Handling charge applies to any:
- Domestic package with an actual weight of more than 50 pounds.
- International package with an actual weight of more than 70 pounds.
Additional Handling fee based on weight:
- Domestic: $24.00 per applicable item.
- International: $15.00 per applicable item.
Length and Width Criteria for UPS Additional Handling
The following package dimensions will result in an Additional Handling charge.
- Longest side exceeds 48 inches
- Second-longest side exceeds 30 inches
Additional Handling fee based on length and width:
- $15.00 per applicable item.
Packaging Criteria for UPS Additional Handling
The packaging qualifications for Additional Handling encompass what the package is made of and how it is contained. The following conditions may result in an Additional Handling charge:
- Item not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container
- Package with an outer shipping container not made of corrugated cardboard
- Item encased in a soft-side pack that exceeds 18-inches on longest side, or 14-inches on second longest side, or 6 inches in height
- Package with an outer shipping container covered in shrink or stretch wrap
- Package bound with metal, plastic or cloth bands
- Package with wheels, casters, handles, or straps
- Package with contents producing outside the container surface
- Parcel with a cylindrical-like shape
- Parcel with irregular shape
Additional Handling fee based on packaging:
- $14.25 per applicable item.