The saved international shipment information is automatically applied to all your international shipments during the carrier and service selection process. This is helpful if you typically ship the same items, saving you time and minimizing the risk of error. You are able to override this information when selecting your carrier and service if the item you are shipping differs. View our guide on customs information when selecting a carrier and service.
The information you are able to save is as follows:
- Content type
- Country of Manufacture
- Harmonized code
- Include signature on Customs Form
- Truncate product descriptions
- Display discounted product prices
Follow the following steps to edit/create international shipments.
- Select the SETTINGS tab in the top navigation.
- Next, click on the INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS page under SHIPMENT SETTINGS.
- Select the Content type of your package (note, this applies to all items within a package). If you have mutiple items within a package which have different content types, then you will need to split your order into multuiple packages. View more information on splitting an orders.
The Content Type options are: Commercial (sold item), Merchandise, Gift, Letters, Documents, Personal Effects, Return & Repair, Sample, Other
- Country of Manufacture. Enter the country where the products included in the order were manufactured.
- Enter the Harmonized Code. While Harmonized codes are not mandatory, they do provide additional information to the receiving country's customs which allow them to more accurately and quickly asses the correct duties and taxes due. If you know the 6-10 digit Harmonized Code, then simply enter within the input box, otherwise, you can use our lookup tool to find the correct harmonized code.
Manually entering a Harmonized code:
Using the lookup tool to add a Harmonized Code:
Click on the Look up link
Then type in your item name, and select Search. You will be presented with a list of options (in some cases only one option may be displayed), simply select the option that best matches your item. The window will close and the harmonized code will automatically be added into the form.
- Description. This should be as specific as possible. Check the Use this Description instead of product catalog entry option if you wish to override your Product Catalog item descriptions.
- Include Signature on Customs Form. By selecting this option and adding a name, including first and last name, we will automatically create an electronic signature on all USPS international labels. This saves you the hassle of manually sign each label.
NOTE: when shipping with APC Postal Logistics, Globegistics, or RR Donnelley, this signature field is not applied to the label. Click the linked carrier name to learn more.
- Automatically truncate my product descriptions to 50 characters (in line with US Customs Form maximum). Checking this option ensures that you'll never forget to reduce product descriptions to comply with US Customs Form maximums.
- Use discounted price if item is discounted and declared value is not specified. If your store provides discounted pricing information for each line item in an order, this will ensure the declared value is accurate.
NOTE: This option is currently supported for Shopify orders only.
- When you have completed adding the information, simply select Save.