ShippingEasy allows you to save International shipment information within your Account Settings to save you time when organizing your international shipments on the READY TO SHIP page.
This information is automatically applied to all your international shipments during the carrier and service selection process. If you typically ship the same items, this will help you save time and minimize the risk of error. You are able to override this information when selecting your carrier and service if the item you are shipping differs.
The information you are able to save is as follows:
- Country of Manufacture
- Harmonized code
- Override Description
- Include a signature on Customs Form
- Limit product descriptions
- Display discounted product prices
- Tax Identifications Numbers
Set Up International Shipments Settings
- Go to SETTINGS.
- Click on the INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS page under SHIPMENT SETTINGS.
- Select the Content-type of your package. This applies to all items within a package. If you have multiple items within a package that have different content types, then you will need to split your order into multiple packages. View more information on splitting orders.
The Content-Type options are: Commercial (sold item), Merchandise, Gift, Letters, Documents, Personal Effects, Return & Repair, Sample, Other
USPS recognizes "Commercial (sold item)" and "Merchandise" as the same content type description. ShippingEasy will display "Merchandise" when either is selected.
- Select the Country of Manufacture. Enter the country where the products included in the order were manufactured.
- Enter the Harmonized Code. While Harmonized codes are not mandatory, they do provide additional information to the receiving country's customs which allow them to more accurately and quickly assess the correct duties and taxes due. If you know the 6-10 digit Harmonized Code, then simply enter it within the input box, otherwise, you can use our lookup tool to find the correct harmonized code.
Manually entering a Harmonized code:
Using the lookup tool to add a Harmonized Code:
Click Look Up.
Type in your item name and select Search. You will be presented with a list of options (in some cases only one option may be displayed), simply select the option that best matches your item. The window will close and the harmonized code will automatically be added to the form.
- Select a Description from the drop-down menu:
- Use product catalog item name: this is populated from the store order data.
- Use product category description: as listed in the ShippingEasy product catalog.
- Use Override Description: this sets the same description on all items. If selected, enter the item description in the Override Description field.
If you have chosen one of the other options in dropdown, entering an Override Description can still be useful in case the product SKU is not yet included in the product catalog. This acts as a way to safeguard your shipment from not having any description at all.
- Include Signature on Customs Form. By selecting this option and adding a name, including first and last name, we will automatically create an electronic signature on all USPS international labels. This saves you the hassle of manually sign each label.
- Automatically limit my product descriptions to 50 characters (in line with US Customs Form maximum). Checking this option ensures that you'll never forget to reduce product descriptions to comply with US Customs Form maximums.
- Use discounted price if item is discounted and declared value is not specified. If your store provides discounted pricing information for each line item in an order, this will ensure the declared value is accurate.
This option is currently supported for Shopify orders only.
- Tax Identification Numbers. Select the Tax ID type and Issuing Authority, then enter the ID number and give it a nickname (the nickname helps you identify the ID when selecting it for your shipments). Read more information on VAT / IOSS and the carriers currently supported through ShippingEasy.
Available Tax ID Types:
Obtain Your IOSS Number: If you need your IOSS number, contact your selling channels to request this information. If you do not use the IOSS, your customers WILL pay the VAT upon delivery.
- TIN (TIN is a generic "Tax ID Number". Use this option if your Tax ID type is otherwise not provided in the list.)
Click +Add New until you have added all necessary Tax ID numbers to ShippingEasy.
ShippingEasy will display a list of the Tax Identifiers that have been added. If you need to make a change to an entry, you must delete the entry and add a new one.The Tax Identification Numbers are submitted electronically and not displayed on the label.
- Select Save.