If you are in the business of education, the USPS has a smart service for you: Media Mail. This is a USPS service for shipping books and education material inexpensively.
According to USPS, the following media are allowed to be shipped using Media Mail:
- Books (at least 8 pages)
- Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs
- Play scripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music
- Printed music
- Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media
- Sixteen millimeters or narrower width films
- Printed objective test materials and their accessories
- Printed educational reference charts
- Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students
This is a closely regulated service and packages using the Media Mail rate cannot contain advertising, computer drives, digital drives, or video games of any kind.
Due to the heavy restrictions of Media Mail, the USPS retains the right to open and inspect packages to check for abuse of the system. If contents violate Media Mail guidelines, then the package may be returned due to insufficient postage or the postage difference may be billed via APV.
Books and educational material can be sent with a 2- to 8-day delivery at a highly competitive rate.
Best Option When:
You are shipping books and educational materials.
Domestic delivery averages 2-8 business days.
This is not a guaranteed service; delivery may be delayed.
Media Mail may only be used to ship educational materials.
Delivery Confirmation also is known as tracking, is included for free.
Additional confirmation option available for an added fee: Signature Confirmation
Insurance is available for an added fee. Learn about available insurance options in ShippingEasy.
Domestic rates are determined by package weight.
All Media Mail shipments receive Retail rates.
Restricted to books and educational materials. The service is closely regulated, so only select if your products qualify. USPS reserves the right to open and inspect any Media Mail shipment. If you think your products may qualify, carefully review USPS’s content standards for Media Mail.
Among the list of prohibited content, Media Mail shipments cannot contain advertising, computer drives, digital drives, or video games of any kind.
Maximum weight for domestic shipments: up to 70 lbs.
The maximum combined length and girth is 108". Meaning the combined measurement of the longest side and the distance around the thickest part can’t be more than 108".