All shipments sent via Priority Mail include $50 - $100 insurance coverage depending on whether you receive Commercial Base Pricing (CBP) or Commercial Plus Pricing (CPP), respectively. In the event that a domestic Priority Mail shipment gets lost or damaged, you can file a claim online or by mail.
We recommend filing online as it gets your claim started immediately, saves you time, and lets you check the status of the claim at anytime.
The USPS recommends filing immediately when damage or partial loss occurs. The timeframe for Priority Mail is seven to 90 days from the date of mailing. When all the documents are in order, claims are usually paid within 30 days.
To file online:
- Navigate to the USPS claims login. Sign in with your USPS.com account information or register for a new account.
- Enter your shipment's article number. Some article numbers are 13 alphanumeric characters beginning in a letter and ending in "US." If you don't see an article number in that format, look for a string of 20, 22, 26, 30 or 34 numbers.
To file by mail:
- Obtain Form 1000 by calling 1-800-332-0317, option 9.
- Complete the form and follow mailing instructions.
To file a claim form, you'll need to have the following:
- Completed claims form.
- Tracking number.
- Label PDF.
- Proof of purchase and evidence of insurance: find this on Endicia.com. View our guide.
- Evidence of value: you’ll also need to show the item’s value or estimated repair costs, with sales receipts or invoices.
- As applicable, proof of damage or loss of contents: if your customer received a damaged item or items are missing from a package, advise them to hang on to the contents they received and the associated packing materials until your claim is settled. They may be asked to take them to their local Post Office for inspection.
How to: Obtain proof of purchase for an USPS label
What USPS services include insurance coverage and offer additional insurance?
What insurance options does ShippingEasy provide?
How to: Set up insurance defaults for my shipments
Packing Tips: General