To get a postage rate and print a shipping label, you will select the carrier and service for the shipment. This guide shows one method of shipping in ShippingEasy, where you move your orders from page to page to progress the shipment.
Before you can access shipping rates, you will need to connect a carrier account to ShippingEasy. This enables you to compare rates and buy postage. Confirm which carriers have been connected on the POSTAGE AND BALANCE page and add a carrier account, if needed.
Once you have at least one carrier account connected, you are ready to create a shipment on the ORDERS page. This involves selecting one or more orders that you are 'ready to ship' to the READY TO SHIP page. Learn more about creating a shipment.
Now you should have an order on the READY TO SHIP page. Get there from the navigation bar, by clicking SHIPMENTS.
You are ready to select a carrier and service for the shipment. This is done in two or three stages:
- Carrier Selections: every shipping label requires a specified carrier, carrier service, packaging and/or weight and dimensions.
- Additional Shipping Options: based on the carrier selections, other services may be selected, including: scheduled pickup, insurance, and confirmation options.
- Customs Information: international, military, and territory-bound shipments require customs forms.
From the Carrier menu, select a shipping carrier. Only carriers that are connected to your ShippingEasy account will be available in this list.
Once a shipping carrier has been selected, all applicable services for that carrier, will be displayed under Carrier Service. Select the required carrier service for your shipment.
Once the carrier service has been selected, all compatible packaging options for the service will be displayed under Packaging. Options may include Carrier Packaging, Custom Packaging or Saved Packaging.
- Carrier Packaging: These options are specific to the carrier service and include branded Flat Rate, Regional Rate and standard sized packaging.
- Custom Packaging: Choose a custom packaging option when using any package type that is not associated with a flat-rate service. You may get these for free from your carrier or source your own packaging.
You will need to specify the dimensions of your packages when using custom packaging. Accurate package dimensions ensure an accurate rate quote, as many carriers assess dimensional (DIM) weight for low-density shipments.
- Saved Packaging: Select from the custom packaging options that you have already saved within your PACKAGE SETUP settings. Learn how saving custom packaging makes shipping faster.
The weight of the package is automatically calculated from the line items in your order. If your order does not include the weight for every line item, you will need to enter it manually. Find ways to automate order weights when not included, or is inaccurate, in your store.
Accurate order weights are critical to getting an accurate postage rate, and to avoid surcharges for incorrect postage. Review the package weight and update it if necessary.
Enter the weight in pounds (lb) and ounces (oz) in the input boxes. Then select Update to view the updated shipping cost.
After you have selected your package type, your shipping cost at the top of the page will automatically update. If the service includes Delivery Confirmation, this will be shown as well.
If you would like to add additional shipping options or this shipment requires customs forms, continue with the rest of this guide.
Otherwise, you are ready to purchase and print a label.
Pay & Print options help you quickly buy the label now.
- Print Later will immediately purchase the label and send it to the READY TO PRINT queue. Here it can be downloaded to a PDF and printed. Learn more about printing labels from PDF.
- Print Now will immediately purchase the label, and also sends the label directly to your printer. This requires first integrating your printer with ShippingEasy via ConnectEasy. Learn more about ConnectEasy.
The Review option will queue up multiple labels to review before purchasing.
- Add to Cart will send the label to the READY FOR PAYMENT queue. Here you can see all shipments that have assigned carrier services, but which do not have labels yet. Learn more about reviewing your purchase.
Additional Shipping Options
The ship date determines which USPS SCAN Form a label can be included on, as well as whether carrier pickup is available. The ship date will default to the current day.
To change the date, type the date into the input box. Or, click in the input box and a calendar will appear for you to select a date using your mouse.
Request a Pickup
If the carrier and service selections, and ship date, support a carrier pickup option, then this option is shown. To request a carrier pickup, select the Request a Pick Up checkbox.
Once the label is purchased, ShippingEasy will notify the carrier that package pickup is required on the ship date. Learn about package pickup problems.
Depending on your carrier and service selections, confirmation options will be shown. Many confirmation options come with an additional cost, which is shown next to the service name.
By default, None is selected. If you wish to add a confirmation service, select the service you need.
After making your selection, Total Shipping Cost will automatically update.
If you have selected a carrier service and package type that includes tracking, you are able to purchase insurance for your shipment. ShippingEasy partners with Shipsurance to provide affordable insurance coverage.
If you wish to add insurance, check the Add Insurance box.
Depending on the carrier selected, you may see carrier insurance as an option from the Provider menu. If you want to use carrier insurance instead of Shipsurance, select another option from the Provider menu.
Specify the declared value amount for the items you are shipping in the Insure to the value of $ field. Learn how much Shipsurance shipment insurance costs.
After making your selection, Total Shipping Cost will automatically update.
Billing - International Shipments
For international Fedex and UPS shipments, an billing section will be displayed. This section allows you to determine who is billed for Customs Duties. These can be handled by Sender, Recipient or Third Party.
- Recipient: When using Recipient as the payor of customs duties/taxes, there are optional fields for a FedEx account number and the account number’s postal code. If provided, that account will be billed instead of the recipient paying in cash
- Sender: You are responsible for paying customs duties/taxes. This is the default selection.
- Third Party: When chosen, the FedEx account number and postal code must be specified, they are not optional for third party payment.
- Recipient: This is the default. When used as the payor of customs duties/taxes, there are optional fields for a UPS account number and the account number’s postal code. If provided, that account will be billed instead of the recipient paying in cash.
- Sender: You are responsible for paying customs duties/taxes.
- Third Party: When chosen, then the UPS account number and postal code must be specified, they are not optional for third party payment.
For international shipments, ShippingEasy will automatically generate the necessary customs form for you. Each item within your package requires the following information:
- Quantity, description, weight, value: these values are pulled automatically from your store
- Harmonized Code, country of manufacture, package content type: to save time, you can save these values to ShippingEasy. Then, every time you ship an international package, these values will automatically populate from your saved information. If a specific item requires different information, then you can manually override the saved information. Learn how to save international shipment preferences.
The "Customs Information" provides the following options, which are discussed in more detail below:
- Package content type
- Overriding customs forms
- Harmonized codes
- Add or edit an item(s)
- Deleting an item
The receiving country's customs agency requires information regarding the type of content included in your shipment. This enables them to correctly asses if any duties and taxes are due. By default, 'Commercial (sold item)' is selected, unless you have specified a preferred default value in your INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENT settings.
To change the Package Content Type, select another option from the drop down menu.
Keep in mind, the content type applies to all line items in the package. If you need to specify different content types for different items, then you will need to split your order first within the ORDERS page. Learn how to split orders.
One important, and often overlooked, piece of information is the Harmonized Code. While harmonized codes are not mandatory, they are used by the receiving country's customs agency to more accurately and quickly determine whether duties and taxes are due. Learn more about Harmonized Codes.
If you know the harmonized code for your item(s), then simply enter this in the 'Harmonized code' input box where ever you find it in the sections below. Otherwise, you can use the look up tool to find the correct Harmonized Code for your item. Learn more about automating Harmonized Codes.
Overriding Customs Forms
If you need to edit the customs information for your shipment, you have the option to change individual line items or to simply override all of the information with a single line item.
Using the Override Customs Form button is the fastest way to update the customs information for your shipment.
However, this will override all the individual line item details in the order. So only use this option if the line items are all similar enough that they share a common description.
If the line items are distinct from each other, it is best to edit individual line items, as described below.
The receiving country's customs agency uses the item descriptions to further evaluate the contents of the shipment.
To add a line item: click the Add button. Fill in the "Add Customs Item" information and Save it.
To edit the details of one existing item: click the name of the line item. Edit the details and select Save.
To edit the details of multiple items at the same time: select the check box for the item(s) you wish to edit. Then click the Edit button. Complete the required information and select Save.
If you need to delete an item or items, select the check box next to the item(s) and click Delete.