If you want to quickly process orders, you can easily do so from the ORDERS page with Instant Rate.
Instant Rate works best with accurate order weights and automatic postage refills.
- Order weight: many shipping services are weight dependent. Some are weight-restricted and others have weight-based rates. If you plan to use such a service, then you will need to update the order weight before using Instant Rate. Learn more about editing order weights.
- Automatic postage refills: your USPS postage balance works like a debit card. You add postage to your account. Then buy labels with the postage you have already paid for. Automatic postage refills mean you are never interrupted to top off your postage balance. Learn how to set up auto-refill postage balance.
Add Postage Alert: If you have not set up automatic postage refills and your postage balance is below the amount needed to ship your package, you will be prompted during Instant Rate to purchase more or sign up for Auto Refills.
How ShippingEasy selects a carrier and service for Instant Rate?
When an order is processed, ShippingEasy Instant Rate assigns a carrier and service from one of five options.
- Shipping Presets (selected from the Shipping Selection drop-down menu)
- Shipping Rule
- Previous Selection
- Default Selection
ShippingEasy will assign a carrier and service using a hierarchy. Each entry in the hierarchy overrides all entries below:
- Manual Selection from the Shipping Selection drop-down menu -->
- Shipping Rule -- >
- Previous Selection -- >
- Default Selection -- >
Your account has a shipping rule to always apply USPS First Class to all domestic orders weighing less than 12 ounces. You also have a default saved selection of USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box. When an order that weighs 13 ounces and that contains an SKU you have never shipped before is processed:
- The shipping rule does not apply because the shipment will be more than 12 ounces.
- Since you have never shipped this SKU, ShippingEasy cannot apply a previous selection.
- Your default saved selection of Small Flat Rate Box does apply because no shipping rule and no previous selection were applied so the result is a rate quote for USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box.
You have the option to change to a recommendation or any of your other saved selections from the Shipping Selection drop-down menu.
You can determine how ShippingEasy assigned a carrier and service by pointing your mouse to the Shipping Selection.
The available options are:
Hovering over the "i" icon will show you how the rate was determined:
How to Buy a label using Instant Rate
- Find the order you want to ship using Instant Rate.
Review the carrier service assigned. If you would like to change the carrier and service, you can select a different Shipping Preset from the drop-down menu.
After you select an entry, ShippingEasy will display the rate quote.
- Click on Buy Label to purchase your label.
- It is time to print your label!
Control which shipping selections are displayed
The "Shipping Selections" drop-down menu contains Automated Selections and Shipping Presets. These options will be displayed separately. Learn how to save your favorite presets.