It’s vital to our survival - why wouldn’t we ship food? Shipping food and other perishable items can be done with the right steps of precaution. A large portion of the e-commerce space is filled with stores selling their fare. If you’re going to do the same, here are the guidelines you’ll need to follow:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables can only be mailed if they are presented in a dry condition. A “dry condition” is not the same as the fruits being dried.
- Eggs can be mailed if they are properly contained/insulated and they will be unharmed by temperature changes during transit.
- You can only mail meat and meat products if it conforms to USDA regulations. This guide includes instructions regarding dry ice and water ice to keep the meat from spoiling.
A few pieces of advice:
- Bubble wrap all of your goods and make sure to wrap wet items tightly.
- If you have more than one container inside the box, make sure that the two containers do not come into contact with one another.
- Surround the containers in packing peanuts or similar material.