If you are having trouble printing with your DYMO Labelwriter, use this guide to troubleshoot common DYMO printer issues.
Don't forget to keep in mind that DYMO support will have the best advise for handling questions about their product.
Click through to the section below that best represents the issue you are experiencing:
- Printing smaller than expected
- Multiple labels used with each print
- Print quality problems
- Label cuts off
- Installation troubleshooting
- Product Information and Drivers
It is possible you may need to edit your printer settings, if your printed labels are not filling the entire label, and/or the print on the label is small.
DYMO on PC:
- Go to the Start Menu and open the Control Panel.
- Go to Devices and Printers.
- Click on Printers/Faxes.
- Then, right click your thermal printer and select Printing Preferences.
- Go to Advanced Options and select your paper size (usually listed as 4x6 or 1744907).
- Click OK and then Apply at the bottom of the Printing Preferences window.
NOTE: If Paper Size is not listed in the Advanced Options tab, it may be necessary to select the 'Printing Defaults...' button at the bottom, choose the Options tab, and set the Paper Format to 'inch' and the Size width and height to 4 and 6.
DYMO on MAC:If you are printing small PDF labels via your web browser, select your browser from the links below to view the recommended solution.
- Chrome: How to set default printer paper size on a Mac
- Firefox: How to set default printer paper size on a Mac
- Safari: How to set default printer paper size on a Mac
If your DYMO labelwriter is feeding multiple labels with each print, it is possible the label spool is loose, or the optical sensor is dirty. Follow the steps below to check for these potential printer problems.
- Loose label spool: It is recommended you re-seat a loose label spool by following the Dymo user guide.
- Dirty optical sensor: This problem can be corrected by feeding the Labelwriter Cleaning Card through the printer 2-3 times. The Cleaning Card and its instructions are included with your printer.
If your labels are blurry, smudged, or faded, it's possible the printer's head or roller is dirty. Feed the LabelWriter Cleaning Card through the printer 2-3 times to correct this problem. The Cleaning Card and its instructions are included with your printer.
If your shipping labels are getting cut off, creating a custom paper size may resolve the problem. The following steps are for Windows PCs:
- Navigate to the START menu.
- Access your Devices and Printers settings.
- Locate your DYMO printer. Right click the printer icon.
- Select Printer server properties.
- Create a new form with paper size 3.95 x 5.9
- Again, right click the DYMO printer icon.
- Select Printing Preferences.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- From the Paper Size menu, select the new paper you created.
If you have a DYMO Labelwriter, you will need to install the appropriate printer drivers before using it with ShippingEasy. A driver installation window should open when you first connect the printer to your computer. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the printer driver.
If you've installed the Dymo printer driver, but cannot print from ShippingEasy, try printing directly from your computer.
If you can print directly from your computer, view our Printer Troubleshooting Guide.
If you cannot print directly from your computer, try the steps below to reinstall your printer drivers:
- Unplug the USB cable from your printer.
- Depending on your version of Windows, open the "Start" menu and select: "Devices and Printers", "Printers", or "Printers and Faxes".
- A DYMO labelwriter icon should appear on your screen. Right-click this icon and select "Delete" or "Remove Device". Then click "OK" or "Yes" to delete the driver.
- Reconnect the USB cable to your printer. A driver installation window should automatically open.
- Follow the instructions on-screen as your computer reinstalls the printer.
- Unplug the USB cable from your printer.
- Open the Apple menu on your computer and select System Preferences.
- From System Preferences, select Printers & Scanners.
- In Printers & Scanners, locate and select your Dymo printer on the left side, and click the Minus button below to remove it from the list.
- Reconnect the USB cable to your printer. Click the Plus button at the bottom of the Printers list to select and re-setup your printer.
- Your printer should be automatically re-added to your Printers list.
Once the drivers are installed, try printing again from your computer. If you are still unable to print, we would recommend reaching out to Dymo support, or your computer manufacturer for further support.
- Download the User Guide
- Find the latest driver
As of October 2017, these were the latest drivers for LabelWriter 400 and 450 series, including the 4XL:
LabelWriter 450 or 450 Turbo: some printers manufactured after April 1, 2014 experienced unique problems. Download an updated driver.
If you try each of these suggestions and still have problems printing with your DYMO printer, feel free to reach out to our Customer Success team.
- Paid subscribers (Basic and above plans) will see links to email, call, or chat in the upper left corner in app.
1-512 | Email | Chat
- Anyone can post questions in our Community forum and our Customer Success team will be happy to assist.