When shipping internationally, customs forms for packages needs to be as accurate as possible to ensure timely processing. Specific information must be included, such as total weight of the shipment, which is verified on the READY TO SHIP page.
It's common to see the error message "Weight cannot be less than the total customs item weight", which indicates a weight discrepancy. The package weight listed in the "Carrier Selections" must equal, or exceed, the total weight of the "Customs Information" line items. If the package weight is too low, then this error will be returned.
To correct this error, you will need to verify and edit a few fields on the READY TO SHIP page.
- Verify and update the Weight in the "Customs Information" section.
- If there are multiple line items, the weight of each item can be adjusted individually.
- If the contents are all similar in type, the entire customs weight can be overridden.
- If the contents are packed, weigh the package to see if it weighs as much as the "Customs Information" weight.
- If the package is not package, determine the weight of the packing materials. Calculate the package weight by adding this to the "Customs Information" weight.
The following sections will walk you through these steps.
How to: Edit individual line item weights in the Customs Information section
- Click "view" next to the line item in the Customs Information section.
- Verify that the weight listed is correct. If not, you will need to update this information.
- To the lower right are options to Add, Edit, or Delete individual line items on the customs form.
- Select any of these to expand a detailed set of options and edit the weight.
How to: Override all line items of Customs Information with a single weight
If all items in a shipment are similar, you can replace multiple individual line items with a single line using by overriding the customs form in the Customs Information section of the READY TO SHIP page.
- Select the Override Customs Form button.
- Fill in the correct total order information, including weight of entire order.
- Select Confirm Override.
Note: this will not edit the information displayed on your packing slips.
How to: Edit the package shipment weight
- Select an international shipment from the pending queue on the left hand side.
- Within the "Carrier Selections" section, locate the Weight field.
- Type in the corrected weight.
- Select the Update button to save the weight and refresh your rate quote.