When shipping internationally, your shipments will require customs forms. These documents include details such as content descriptions, harmonized codes, declared value and country of manufacture. Customs forms help countries oversee the flow of goods in and out of their country. Learn more about customs forms.
Each item in the shipment must be listed separately on the custom form. Most carriers require a level of detail as well, wanting to know the specific contents. Rather than updating these details manually, Product Categories can be used to streamline the process.
A Product Category is a tool that enables you to group similar products under a single description. Each Product Category has a unique set of attributes that can be used to automate shipping rules and track inventory. Learn more.
Relating to customs forms, a Product Category can be used to define the following:
When individual SKUs are assigned to a Product Category, the category attributes are then applied to the customs form. This means that you don't need to maintain customs details for every SKU that you sell. Rather, you can have a smaller set of Product Categories that describe broader groups of products.
How to: Simplify your customs forms
- Set up Product Categories, and be sure to define a precise description
- Assign SKUs to your Product Categories
- Update your International Shipment settings to use the Product Category description
How to: Use the Product Category description on customs forms
Once your Product Categories are setup, the International Shipments settings enables you to use the category descriptions on your customs forms. This can greatly simplify the line item details on customs forms. Especially since most product descriptions contain brand or listing specific details that you may not want to include on a customs form.
For example, if a merchant sells cell phone cases:
|Product Category description:||Product SKU descriptions:|
- Select the SETTINGS tab in the top navigation.
- Next, click on the INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS page under SHIPMENT SETTINGS.
- Expand the Description menu and select Use product category description.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.