While some USPS shipment methods automatically include insurance in their rate, it is not included on one of their most used services: First Class packages. Setting up a shipping rule to automatically include Shipsurance on all first class packages is a great work-around to this and will eliminate time spent having to make sure your packages have coverage. Learn more about Shipsurance.
To create a rule that automatically adds insurance to your First Class packages:
- Go to SETTINGS >> SHIPPING RULES.
- Click the blue +Add New button.
- In the field Rule Name, enter a name that describes this rule, such as “First Class Insurance“.
- Set the "IF" condition to Requested service and select your logic. For example we've chosen Is equal to. Then check the Usps (First Class Mail) and the Usps (First Class Mail International Parcels) options.
- Set the "THEN" action to Set shipment insurance based on order total.
- If you’d like to automatically send orders meeting this condition to your READY TO SHIP page, check the box to Create a shipment for each order that meets the condition of this rule.
- Save your new rule! This rule will be applied to all future shipments that are synced or added into ShippingEasy.
If you have orders that you’d like to use this on that are currently in your ORDERS page, you can rerun your shipping rules.